What is "Sitting Disease"?
Sitting disease by the numbers
The term “Sitting Disease” has been coined by the scientific community and is commonly used when referring to metabolic syndrome and the ill-effects of an overly sedentary lifestyle.
While sitting down all day may seem harmless, you may be surprised by the negative impact it has on your health. Negative effects such as an increased risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers (breast and colon), muscle atrophy, cardiovascular disease, early onset dementia, low energy expenditure and depression are all found to be associated with sitting disease. The cumulative effects of prolonged sitting are so negative, wide-ranging and pervasive that sitting disease has come to be seen as the new smoking
Currently 86% of the American workforce, approximately 129 million people, sit all day at their jobs.
As manufacturing jobs decrease and the "Gig Economy" grows, more and more jobs will require people to sit all day and the U.S. will be facing a national health crisis.
The O.C. Body Shaper can play a big part in reversing that by making your time at work improve your health instead of hurting it. The O.C. Body Shaper can also be a safe, easy gateway to an all around healthier lifestyle for people who never thought that a fitness based lifestyle was available to them, thought it was too hard or didn't know how to get started.
The O.C. Body Shaper can counteract the effects of sitting disease and improve your life by:
* raising your heart rate periodically throughout the day
* stopping muscle atrophy and building lean muscle mass
* burning fat
* stimulating the flow of endorphins which trigger a positive feeling in the body and mind that is often described as euphoric
* turning a sedentary workday into an opportunity to get fit and healthy without sacrificing time with family and friends outside of work
* providing a safe, easy and effective way for people to begin exercising which can make exercising in other ways easier, more fun and more accessible
* being the catalyst for people to live an all around healthier lifestyle at work and at home
Have fun at work!